Quick Links


How to Apply for Funding

To apply for funding, please browse the list of scholarships and fellowships below, identify the awards you are eligible for, and follow the instructions provided on the website for each specific award.

Questions? Contact the Harry Bridges Center for Labor Studies at hbcls@uw.edu or (206) 543-7946. You may also visit the Bridges Center office on the UW Seattle campus in Smith Hall, room M266, located on the mezzanine level between the second and third floors.



Labor Studies Scholarships and Fellowships

The Bridges Center honors students annually with the following awards. For more information, including application instructions, click on the name of individual awards in the list below. 


Name Eligibility Amount Deadline to Apply

Gundlach Scholarship in Labor Studies

Undergraduate or graduate students



Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA) Scholarship

Undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a labor-related career



Martha H. Duggan Fellowship in Caring Labor

Graduate students studying and/or providing caring labor



Martin and Anne Jugum Scholarship in Labor Studies

Undergraduate students



Samuel B. Bassett Scholarship in Labor Relations

Undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a labor-related career



Silme Domingo & Gene Viernes Scholarship in Labor Studies

First-year undergraduate students or graduate students of any year, who qualify for financial aid

$6,000 over two years



Best Paper Prize in Labor Studies

Each year, the Bridges Center recognizes the best undergraduate and graduate papers written on a labor-related topic with a prize of $500. The papers must have been written during the current academic year at one of the University of Washington campuses.

Papers may focus on any dimension of United States or international labor, including class relations, social conditions, working-class culture or politics, work and gender, work and race/ethnicity, unions, and comparative labor relations.

Students may submit their own papers, or faculty members may nominate outstanding papers they have read during the course of the year.

Deadline for applications for the 2017-2018 academic year: Monday, June 11, 2018 (Papers may be submitted any time before the deadline)

How to Submit Your Paper

Please submit:

  • An electronic copy of your paper (one paper allowed per student)
  • Your summer and fall contact information (email, mailing addresses, and phone number)

A committee comprised of faculty members associated with the Harry Bridges Center for Labor Studies will judge the papers. The winners will be announced by early August and the prizes will be presented at the Bridges Center's annual awards celebration.

Send submissions as attachments to hbcls@uw.edu