Are you or anyone you know interested in working for social change?
Union Summer is the paid ($20/hour) summer internship program for people interested in getting involved in the labor movement. Organized through the Washington State Labor Council AFL-CIO, Union Summer participants will spend an exciting six weeks — June 20-August 5 — working full-time and hands-on with different campaigns — talking to our community, marching for justice, and gaining first-hand experience in the movement. The positions are based in and around Seattle, but campaigns may take place throughout the region.
Click here for more information, including a short video on Union Summer 2021 featuring previous interns.
Sound good? Submit your application today! The deadline to apply is Friday, April 28, 2023.
The program is broken up into 3 main components: education, actions, and on the job training. An average week may be:
- Tuesday — Attend a rally early in the morning to support striking workers and end the day registering people to vote at a local farmers’ market.
- Wednesday — Make phone calls to union members reminding them to turn in their ballots.
- Thursday — Assist union staff with various responsibilities and attend a lobbying meeting with your supervisor and the mayor.
- Friday — Education Day. Learn about the history of the labor and social justice movements in the Pacific Northwest, and tour historical buildings.
- Saturday — Action Day. Knock on doors and talk to union members about local politics and elections.
If you have any general questions about Union Summer, send them to email@example.com.